Friday, October 07, 2005

Lost in Translation

Warning: The contents of this post are highly contentious. They are merely an opinion. Please be gentle when posting comments.

Literature has given one hell of a lot to me. Without it and my sense of humour I would probably have lost the will to live a long time ago. The writings of authors such as Amitav Ghosh, John Steinbeck and George Orwell are sublime, each in its own unique way. The power of a piece of literature just cannot be measured.

There is however one aspect of literature that I have failed to appreciate—poetry. It may be because I found the methods in which they were taught at the school level to be dry and overall attempting to dissuade the student from taking any interest in the subject. I must admit that the collection of teachers from whom I have learnt English should have been in a zoo as opposed to teaching in a school. While we were doing ‘Old Man and the Sea’ I recall one of our teachers summarily informing us that ‘Santiago’ means ‘good morning’ in Spanish.

I am not saying that all poetry (or poetry for that matter) is ‘bad’ or meaningless. Few things compare to the lyrical genius of ‘Lochinvar’, the sheer brutality of ‘The Tiger’ or the brilliance of ‘To A Skylark’. However I find a lot of other poets to have written poems that really seem to have no head or tail.

The single poem that drove me to a dislike of poetry is ‘The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock’. The first time that I read the poem I thought that I had missed some crucial message. Even when I read it as a text, the poem failed to expose its inner meaning. When a friend (who fancied himself as a poet) explained to me that there are a number of interpretations of the poem I found it almost ridiculous.

Poetry is by far the best medium for expressing abstract feelings that cannot be passed on in prose. The poet should logically have some thought in mind when he pens a poem. If that message is lost behind a veil of obscure references and allusions then it may be that the message is lost forever. Different people come up with suggestions of what the poem could mean. Nobody really knows for sure. People may even interpret messages that weren’t intended. Doesn’t that really defeat the purpose of art?

I sincerely feel that I am missing out on a lot. I love to read and when I see others enjoying something that I find I am incapable of enjoying I feel kind of left out.

16 Comments:

Blogger babelfish said...

Did you follow my link on one of your previous post to the Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam?
http://www.arabiannights.org/rubaiyat/index2.html
is something few people fail to appreciate. Of course, this is the view of a decadent babelfish who drinks like a...well, fish!!!

As to your post, it was well expressed and the only point I would make is that there are as many texts as there are readers. Perhaps you could say that the excessive number of interpretations defeat the purpose of the artist, but art I sometimes feel is too volatile to be constricted to a limited number of meanings.

was that too brutal? one hopes not!! :D

10:48 PM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

as i said in the disclaimer ;D at the top of this page, this is merely my opinion. and a controversial one at that.

babel: if art can be anything what is it then, that makes something more special than the other? why are some pieces of abstract art turner prizes winners while others that are equally absurd rejected as poor pieces? doesnt the volatility of art kinda defeat the very purpose of art? and yes i did follow your link (thank u for it)

rimi: i am not saying that poetry is hollow. i have a certain perception of poetry, and i just wanted to know whether i am the only one or not. i am not by any means saying that reading poetry is show-offy, prudish
and antel like. btw why didnt u tel me dat u had shifted your blog?

ps: thank you both for being lenient with me. ;D

11:12 PM  
Blogger babelfish said...

The sort of discussion you've initiated is the one that goes on forever *without being resolved* over endless chayer bhaar in smoke-laden dingy rooms where the rare non-smoking aantel coughs between vociferous declarations :D

I would love to continue this discussion, but I have been previously accused of ruining blogs by posting literary theses so I shall desist for now. Someday if you really wanna argue about poetry, land up at our side of the campus and we shall all be brutal :D

Incidentally, I'm not being lenient with you. Just telling it as it is. *Sheesh* you make me feel so pompous and ancient!!!

4:52 AM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

mongolian monkeys: dude, we are so in the same boat

babel: please feel free to post theses here. this is one place that they are (as of now) welcome. btw i am at the second campus so meeting up with u guys would require a significant effort on my part. considering the ju tradition of lyad/laad...well...u kno...

10:31 PM  
Blogger Adarsh A. Varghese said...

Well, I guess I am in the same boat too. Very rarely has poetry appealed to me. I just dont fancy sitting and trying to decipher the meaning of 'em all.

I guessI started disliking 'em after I read the poetry of the Romantics. A sample would be "Her eyes were two bright spot shining in the night, her hair was...blah blah blah!

But then I do occassionally come across some pieces that go straight to my heart.

9:19 AM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

after the fear of being cyber-lynched by the JUDEans, the support that adarsh and mongolian monkeys hav given me is really cool.

adarsh: poetry - either u love it or u hate it

crazy mongolian monkeys: could u please tell me your name or nick name. ur present name is rather large...plz

10:55 AM  
Blogger babelfish said...

krishanu : unfair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! this after we were all so nice *twembling lip*
How could you child?
"cyber-lynched"!!!!!
I shall post thesis once I get over pujo decadence :D

1:44 PM  
Blogger M (tread softly upon) said...

Well I can't say that I agree completely on the poetry dislike issue here. Yes, there are verses that go beyond my intellectual capabilities but I think there is something really beautiful in lines that are not composed in prose. Prose is easy, poetry is not. And I admire people who can do that with ease.

5:09 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Hi Krishanu,

It is interesting to know that people are discussing art and literature in your blog. Makes me sit up and pay attention :))
As for your dislike of poetry...each to his own I would say.

Keep it going guys :)
Rita

7:52 PM  
Blogger jaded said...

hey, i have linked you

10:28 AM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

jaded: thanks a million. will link u asap...

ps: do tell me when u have ur bloggermeets

8:19 PM  
Blogger sinusoidally said...

Hey thanks for stopping by at my blog. All I can think right now is that you are only 19. Dude...now I am depressed.

12:38 AM  
Blogger Krishanu said...

m: i do like a few poems. but find a majority of the rest to be utterly undecipherable, and way too far-fetched to be believable. when i find poeple reading poetry just to show off, it really irritates me. trust me i know a few characters who do that.

rita: thanks. i love this kind of discussion. its people like u who keep it alive.

sinusoidally: dont be depresssed. i just really appreciate a romance like yours. i wish i could have (if) a romance like yours. it seems almost blissfully utopic. thanks for stopping by. do visit again.

4:18 PM  
Blogger J. Alfred Prufrock said...

With the universe full of far more obscure poems, you had to choose my favourite?

Father, forgive them, for they not what they do.

Try The War Song of Dynas Vawr. Or how about The Sunlight on the Garden?

J.A.P.

4:46 PM  
Blogger monk said...

an english translation of the epigraph, but you have to keep looking for the key.

If I believed that my answer would be to someone who would ever return to earth
this flame would move no more
but because no one has ever returned alive from this gulf
if what I hear is true
I can reply with no fear of infamy.

12:10 AM  
Blogger monk said...

Imagine yourself. You are thinking all the time, life going by in images, words, snapshots and empty cigarette packs like endless rows of streetlamps on the bypass at night. you are reading the love song of j alfred prufrock. let yourself go. dream the tired beautiful dream he wants you to dream.
And maybe you will find the key.

12:42 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Up Down